Student Visa Subclass (500)

Miles International Consultancy Immigration and Education Services is an experienced agent who can help you with the best course offer and visa lodgement for your study in Australia. With the grant of student visa 500, an overseas student can:

  • Participate in an eligible course of study in Australia
  • Travel in and out of Australia
  • work up to 40 hours every 2-week period once your course starts

This is a temporary visa to study for up to 5 years. The type of course and its length will determine the length of stay. If you hold or held a student visa and completed specific qualifications in Australia in the last six months, you might be eligible for a Temporary Graduate visa (subclass 485). In addition, a student can include eligible family members when lodging visa application or apply as a subsequent entrant after the visa is been granted.

For student visas 500, students’ eligible family member is:

  • Partner, or
  • A dependent child who is unmarried and has not turned 18 years of age.

Requirements of a student visa 500 in Australia:

In order to apply for a Student Visa, a student will need to meet the following requirements: Confirmation of Enrolment (COE) You will need to provide a Confirmation of Enrolment (COE) or Letter of Offer issued by the education provider under the CRICOS framework (Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students).

Genuine Temporary Entrant (GTE)

Applicants should provide enough evidence to support that their intentions in Australia are temporary, for the purpose of study or accompanying a student as a dependant or guardian. Ministerial Direction 69 sets out the number of factors the Department of Home Affairs considers determining the applicant’s meet the GTE requirement.

Financial Requirements

Students may need to show evidence of sufficient funds to cover tuition fees, travel expenses and living costs for the intended period of stay. English Proficiency Requirement Some students may need to provide an up-to-date certificate of an English language test as part of the Student Visa application. This will also depend on what course you wish to study. Good news for those citizens and passport holders of one of the following English-speaking countries: USA, Canada, New Zealand, UK and Republic of Ireland. You will be exempt from this language requirement.

Australian Health Requirement

As an Australian Student Visa applicant, you must undergo a medical health examination. Australian Character Requirement Everyone who wants to enter Australia will be assessed against these character requirements.

Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC)

Australian Student Visa applicants must register with an OSHC insurance provider for the duration of their time as a student in Australia. Some of the current government authorized providers of an OSHC policy are:

  • AHM (Australian Health Management)
  • Medibank Private Allianz Global Assistance
  • Allianz Global Assistance

Cost of Annual Living Amounts

Every application where evidence of funds is required should include the following cost of living amounts in their calculation of funds for student visa 500:

  • living costs and expenses of AUD 21,041 if the applicant intends to stay for 12 months or more or pro-rata if less than 12 months; and if the course is less than 12 months, the full amount of course fees or if the course is longer than 12 months, the fees for the first 12 months of the course.
  • living costs for the partner of AUD 7,362 and 
  • dependent child AUD 3,152
  • and school fees for school-age dependents of AUD 8,296

Source: Click Here


Please be advised that the above information is brief information only, please contact a registered migration to talk about your individual circumstance and lodge your student visa 500. MILES INTERNATIONAL CONSULTANCY is authorized to give immigration assistance.