7 Seven Reasons Why Adelaide?
For International Students
ADELAIDE IS REALLY INTERNATIONAL STUDENT-FRIENDLY
- Adelaide is sometimes considered the city created for students — and for good reason. In Adelaide, there’s a huge number of opportunities to study alongside, collaborate with, and become part of its many major thriving industries. These include bioscience, health, agriculture, wine, information, and communications technology, defense, tourism, and the arts. But Adelaide is also a bustling, beautiful city environment. In fact, Adelaide was the fourth most desirable top Australian study destination for international students in 2017.
ADELAIDE IS VERY AFFORDABLE
- Adelaide is the perfect place to live and explore on a student budget. Of the top five most popular Australian study destinations with international students in 2017, Adelaide was the second most affordable city in terms of the average rental price (AU$213 per week). It’s a steal compared to pricier Sydney (AU$285 per week) and Melbourne (AU$258 per week). Plus, reports show that, in general, the cost of living in Adelaide is 21% less expensive than Melbourne and 23% less than Sydney.
IT’S HOME TO AUSTRALIA’S OLDEST UNIVERSITY
- The historical colonial-era sandstone buildings of Adelaide’s university campuses (especially those in the CBD) are breathtakingly beautiful to wander through and behold. In fact, you might feel like you’ve stepped right into Hogwarts! Adelaide is also home to Australia’s oldest university, the University of Adelaide, which was established in 1874. But it’s not just a pretty place the University of Adelaide also consistently ranks in the top 1% of universities worldwide and is a member of the Group of Eight, a union of Australia’s leading research-intensive universities
TRANSPORT IN ADELAIDE IS SUPER CONVENIENT
- In Adelaide, you’ll notice many inner-city trams weaving through the city CBD, which gives the city a charming ‘village’ feel. Many city transport services are free (including buses), so you can affordably enjoy, experience, and explore Adelaide at your leisure. Adelaide is also very bicycle-friendly. Free bicycles are available to use around the CBD, which not only promotes a healthier, greener, and more active lifestyle but is also super convenient when you’re running late to university!
ADELAIDE IS FESTIVAL CENTRAL
- Ask any international student and they’ll tell you the same thing: there’s always something happening in Adelaide. Major festivals include WOMADelaide, the Adelaide Festival, the FEAST Festival, Adelaide Fringe, OzAsia, IndoFest, and the Spirit Festival – just to name a few!
BUT IT’S ALSO PRETTY CALMING AND RELAXING
- On the one hand, Adelaide has all the benefits of a thriving city. But on the other, it can be refreshingly laid-back, quiet, and relaxed. So, once you’re done sightseeing, partying or working, you’ll always be able to take a step back from the hustle and bustle of the city to focus more on your studies. This makes Adelaide a fantastic place for dedicating time to study and better work productivity. As Ben Folds once sang, “going where there is no worry, fuss or hurry – Adelaide”. One of the most 7 Seven Reasons Why Adelaide
THERE ARE BIG OPPORTUNITIES IN ADELAIDE FOR INTERNSHIPS AND EMPLOYMENT
- There’s ample opportunity for international students to participate in internships and find part-time employment whilst studying in Adelaide. After graduation, students are often in high demand, as universities in Adelaide have cultivated a strong reputation for developing graduates of international distinction. This is, in many ways, thanks to the city’s unique study programs and more ‘research-intensive’ approaches to teaching and learning. ‘Small-group’ discovery (smaller classes, and closer teacher/student attention) is also big. Adelaide graduates, therefore, develop their own very unique voices, perspectives, and practical research skills and abilities — an asset to any company.
7 Seven Reasons Why Adelaide?
- ADELAIDE IS REALLY INTERNATIONAL STUDENT-FRIENDLY
- ADELAIDE IS VERY AFFORDABLE
- IT’S HOME TO AUSTRALIA’S OLDEST UNIVERSITY
- TRANSPORT IN ADELAIDE IS SUPER CONVENIENT
- ADELAIDE IS FESTIVAL CENTRAL
- BUT IT’S ALSO PRETTY CALMING AND RELAXING
- THERE ARE BIG OPPORTUNITIES IN ADELAIDE FOR INTERNSHIPS AND EMPLOYMENT
- 7 Seven Reasons Why Adelaide?